Launching a blog for your business is not just an exciting endeavor, it’s a necessary one for small business marketing. But before you launch and put a link on your homepage, go through our checklist to make sure you’re optimized for success!
- Create a Design: Many businesses, and bloggers in general, have the mentality to choose a basic theme, launch, and update later. In an ideal world, people wouldn’t judge a blog by its cover, but readers are harsh. Quality content and design go hand-in-hand. If the design doesn’t mesh well or the layout is poor, viewers won’t even bother reading. Design a blog you are proud of today.
- Install Plugins: If you’re using WordPress, which we recommend, there are thousands of plugins—many of them free—to utilize to improve your blog and SEO efforts. A simple search will lead you to some goodies, but you’ll find WordPress SEO by Yoast, WP Super Cache, Google XML Sitemaps, and Digg Digg popping up on several of the lists.
- Set Up Social Media Profiles: What good is a business blog if you can’t promote it anywhere? Facebook and Twitter are, obviously, incredibly important, but snatch usernames and create accounts for Pinterest, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Google+ so you’re ready to promote your blog immediately.
- Build an Email List: With an email list already in hand, so to speak, you’ve already amassed a following ready to read your posts. An email list will help you build a relationship with your subscribers and keep them continually updated.
- Write Several Posts: The biggest mistake any blogger can make is not having posts ready to launch. Life gets busy, hopefully your business gets busy, and that means you might be scrambling to publish a post. Always have a few posts drafted in your arsenal because consistency is key.
Learn more by checking out our Blogging for Business eBook at AjaxUnion.com!