Search Engine Marketing Resources
Feeling a little lost? Let this page be your guide to the world of search engine marketing with off page SEO.
To view all of our online marketing resources, check out our main Search Engine Marketing Resources page.
Online Marketing with Backlinks
This useful video from GSINC explains how to track backlinks (external links to your site) and why they are important — all in a nifty British accent.
1960s-Style SEO Training Video
HubSpot presents a retro-style guide to promoting your website via search engine advertising. Watch out for some black and white!
Search Engine Optimization — The Important of Links
Youtube’s angrymaker reveals the secret to search engine marketing success: backlinking!
Search Engine Marketing Glossary
Above-the-Fold: Remember newspapers? Neither do we. Formerly belonging to print, this online marketing industry term covers anything a page visitor can see without scrolling down. In search engine marketing, getting “above-the-fold” on Google is a pretty big deal.
Backlinking: Crucial to off page SEO, backlinking is the process of creating links to your business from other domains. To Google, each backlink is essentially an endorsement of your site from an outside source.
Local SEO: Search engine optimization with a regional flare, ideal for businesses whose goods or services are only relevant to clients within a certain radius.
SEM (Search Engine Marketing): The sum total of all online marketing efforts related to search engines, including SEO and PPC management.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization): Short for search engine optimization, this marketing technique enhances a website’s online presence using strategies that target organic search results — i.e., the search results you see every time you use Google.
Social Networking: This is the practice of reaching out to clients via services like Twitter, MySpace, and Facebook. The latter being the source of brilliant (and meta) reading material like I Thought You Were Hot Until I Clicked on “View More Pictures.”
PageRank: The algorithmic technique that Google uses to order its search results, as determined by a variety of factors. Search engine marketing is, in essence, the practice of pimping your PageRank.
PPC (Pay Per Click): Using services like Google AdWords, PPC management advertises your site to a relevant audience. As the name suggests, you only have to pay for the clicks your ads receive.
Search Engine Optimization Articles
- “8 Habits of Highly Excellent Bloggers” by ProBlogger
- “The 12 Best Ways To Customize Your Facebook Pages” by TechCrunch
- “30+ Apps for Doing Business on Facebook” by Mashable
- “50 Social Sites That Every Business Needs a Presence on” by Inside CRM
- “Amazon Acquires Woot” by TechCrunch
- “Article Title – The Key to Your Article’s Success” by EzineArticles
- “Can Natural Link Building Outperform Link Buying?” by HugoGuzman.com
- “Google News Overhaul” by TechCrunch
- “How Can a Blogger Improve Their SEO Ranking?” by Ask Dave Taylor
- “How Changes to Facebook Affect Online Marketing” by Zeta Interactive
- “Linking Social Media Sites” by CommunicateValue
- “Marketers: Skip Twitter for Kids and Teens” by HugoGuzman.com
- “The Real Life Social Network” by SlideShare
- “RIP, Yahoo Search: Why I’m Not Shedding a Tear” by PCWorld
- “Short Vs. Long Tail: Which Search Queries Perform Best?” by Search Engine Land
- “Social Media Demographics Infographic” by Flowtown
- “Social Network Icon Pack” by KomodoMedia
- “Top 20 Most Popular Social Bookmarking Websites” by eBiz
- “Top 40 Facebook Pages” by the Kbuzz
- “Writing Keyword Focused Posts” by Wolf-Howl.com